Midori Haus Tour
Mid-year International Passive House Days 2019 - Midori Haus Tour
Date: June 30, 2019 (Sunday)
Time: 11:00 A.M.
Address: 135 Van Ness Ave., Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Our neighbors will we appreciate it if you would bicycle, walk, or carpool. If you do drive, please park away from our street.
There are five segments in the Guided Tour:
11:15 A.M. Why we chose this international building standard
11:45 A.M. Why we don’t have a furnace and how the house stays comfortable
12:15 P.M. Kitchen – what worked, what doesn’t
12:45 P.M. Hot Water (Solar Thermal system)
1:15 P.M. Rainwater system
The five benefits of attending a tour at Midori Haus are:
1. See things in operation: unlike a showroom, the induction cooktop, heat recovery ventilator, and the solar thermal system have been in use everyday for over 6 years
2. Feel the air temperature and humidity: your skin will tell you if the indoor air is within your comfort range
3. Smell the air: the air circulated inside the house has been scrubbed through a charcoal filter and a MERV 13 filter
4. Listen to the quiet: Highway 1 (Mission Street) is only half a block away, but can you hear it inside the house?
5. Ask questions to the homeowners: What worked and what didn’t? Why did they choose the systems and materials? Is the energy performance keeping up?
This tour is perfect for you if you are ...
- Homeowner gathering ideas for your green home project
- Architect, contractor, or home energy consultant looking for a performance-based approach toward net zero energy home
- Environmental studies student looking for case studies for a school project